Saturday, November 07, 2009

When Tomorrow Comes

On Wednesday I went to visit my nephew and his family. I knew I hadn't been round for a while but when I remarked on his new car he told me he'd had it for a year. I also said the pup was fairly growing... the "pup" is apparently almost three years old. I still find it hard to grasp how thick I am now, how forgetful and how out of touch I am with the world. I used to always think I was so clever, so much better than "ordinary" people. What an arsehole I must have looked. At least that's one of the benefits of social isolation, you don't parade around looking a complete fool, you only do that in the safety of your own home.



But after saying that I must confess that I have gone out almost every day this week and have a full diary for the next couple of days! I can't remember the last time I went out almost every day in a single week. On Wednesday my "unofficial carer" Simon took me out to photograph fish again.




Today I stayed in alone but did finally pick up my guitar and practice a bit. I've been invited to a jam on Sunday with a wide variety of musicians, none of whom I know. Last year I did a gig, temping as guitarist for an established blues band. One of the guys from the band (who I have only met twice) has invited me to play on Sunday. I't a bit scary as I won't know anyone and may have to blag my way through it, winging it with real musicians. Despite this I'm really chuffed he asked me and I'm really looking forward to it. The invite came via Facebook which I've recently joined to try and connect with other local musicians. I didn't expect a result so quickly.



Tomorrow I'm heading off to Glasgow to explore an old water tower. People who have read my previous blog may remember I rather precariously arranged to meet a stranger in Glasgow last year who guided me through dark woods to find an old water tower. Well, I didn't end up dead and buried, it actually all turned out great and tomorrow I'm meeting him again to explore another one. This time I'm going with my brother as well which will be nice I think. I don't think we have ever really had a day out together. Hopefully it won't end up in another fucking family feud. Usually when two members of my family spend more than two minutes together in the same room they fall out and never speak again. This strange dysfunctional behaviour has sadly been entrenched for generations (so rumour has it, obviuosly I can't chack with estranged relatives). I'm sure tomorrow will be fine, if nothing else it will be a box ticked off before I die.

2 comments:

David said...

Ah, you make me smile, esp the 'estranged family' joke. Hope you have a good week! atb D

Mo said...

Always good to have a laugh David. I know it's a tired old cliche but it really is the best medicine... and has few side effects... unless of course you laugh inappropriately at some redneck in a seedy bar. Haven't we all been there? "Hey Mr Muscles, have you had your Weetabix today... ha ha ha..." WHACK!